Green Remodel - An awesome case study!
Address: 5314 Bardwell Street
Riverside, CA 92506
Built in 1964
4 bed, 2 bath
2,410 Square Feet
This home is the perfect candidate for an energy efficiency overhaul!
- Practically NO insulation
- Nasty old leaky duct work
- Feel drafts in the living room and master bedroom
- Front bed rooms received no airflow - stuffy and nasty
- Tons of recessed can lights and attic penetrations
- Old single pane windows
2 inches of Insulation Moldy & Dusty Return Box
We performed a preliminary walk and audit. The results would make you cringe!
- Ducts leaking more than 25% of the air passing through the system. The previous owners were paying to air condition their attic! And sucking polluted air into their system!
- Air Changes per Hour at 50 Pascal's of pressure was nearly 20! A tight house is 5. That means this home has 400% of the recommended air infiltration. Another way of looking at it; the home is losing 400% more air than it should when heating/cooling their home. This is also the casue of the severe drafts in the home.
We are going to make the following improvements
- R-38 attic Insulation
- New dual pane windows
- Complete sealing of air handler, duct system, & registers
- Install return box
- Insulate hot water heater
- Seal all attic penetrations
- Caulk around doors/windows and plumbing penetrations as appropriate
- Upgrade every light bulb to a CFL
- Install low flow shower heads in the showers
We should be able to reduce the baseline energy consumption for this home by at least 25%. Be sure to follow our blog to watch the progress.
- Trackback Link
- El anuncio no tiene trackbacks.
- Smoothing Renewable Wind Energy in Texas
- How environmentally friendly are electric cars?
- Open Building Empowers Homeowners
- Energy Efficient Homes Reduce Risk of Mortgage Default
- Summer is on its way, make sure you stay cool.
- Arkansas Oil Spill Raises Scrutiny of Pipeline Network
- California Considering 25 Projects for Carbon Offset Credits
- Most Insurers Lack Plans for Climate Change, Survey Finds
- Earth Warmer Than in Most of the Past 11,300 Years
- The New Gold Standard: Environmental Management Introduces the First LEED Gold Industrial Facility
- air flow, airflow, duct work, ductwork, HVAC, air conditioning, home comfort (3)
- climate change (5)
- effciency (16)
- energy (23)
- Energy Efficiency, Tax Credit, Tax Incentives, Incentive, Taxes (9)
- Home Performance Analysits (2)
- HVAC Specialists (2)
- renewable (2)
- save money (4)
- Solar (2)
- summer (4)
- sustainability (4)